Peter Drucker once stated that, “Trying to predict the future is like trying to drive down a country road at night with no lights while looking out the back window.” While it may be impossible to predict the future, Law360 just recently published an expert analysis column written by, Ralph J. Sutton, Chief Investment Officer of Bentham IMF, which discusses 6 predictions about commercial litigation financing industry trends to keep an eye on in 2017.
- a massive increase in the funding of portfolios of cases at AmLaw 200 firms
- the creation of multidisciplinary law firm task forces to study the practical and ethical aspects of funding
- the provision of “hybrid portfolio” funding funding directly to corporations for defense cases bundled with plaintiff cases
- an increase in the number of decisions this year denying satellite fishing expeditions into funding arrangements
- the use of funding as start-up equity in new, innovative firms that share more risk with clients
- clearer distinctions and specialization between funders themselves
According to his column, 6 Key Commercial Litigation Finance Trends For 2017, Sutton believes commercial litigation funding is not only here to stay, but it destined for growth. And, he is not the only one. Another recent column published by Lake Whillans in 2016 surveyed 407 law firms in 36 cities across the United States.
Respondents included solo practitioners, in-house counsel, law firm partners and counsel and law firm associates ranging from firms under 25 employees to firms with greater than 500 employees. Of those that were familiar with litigation financing, nearly 85% said they would use it again. According to survey results, 85% also said they would recommend litigation finance to others.
The Thrivest Difference
At Thrivest, we provide flexible financial options to help businesses and individuals meet their cash flow needs. Our friendly staff of funding experts guides each client from beginning to solution. We adhere to the principles of Quality, Honesty, Community, and Creativity. If you think our pre-settlement legal funding solutions could be the right fit for you, please call one of our lawsuit funding specialists at 888-697-7352. Or to apply online, simply CLICK HERE and fill out our quick form application.